Thursday, November 11, 2010

"These Are a Few of My Favorite Things..."

Well winter is finally upon us here in Idaho.  I have to be honest, winter is my favorite season.  Not necessarily for the weather, but for the things the weather brings along with it.  The warm homes, the crackling fires, the time with family and friends, the warm drinks, the good meals.  Its all very warm, during a cold part of the year. I also find that the winter brings people closer together.  The bitter cold brings people indoors and into each others lives.  I've made some good friends during my short time here in Idaho, and the onset of winter seems to be bringing me closer to all of them.

Nanette was the first friend I made here, and what a friend she is.  She could be considered the female version of me (and yes Nanette, take that as a compliment).  I remember I was eating lunch at the SUB and didn't really know anyone.  Nanette waved me down to sit at her table with Jacob and Amanda.  Nanette started telling a story to me, and Nanette's stories have a certain pattern to them.  Prologue, kinda funny, a little funnier and the hilarious... I didnt know this.  As soon as Nanette finished with her prologue section of her story I interjected with a "sooo anyways..."  The table found this shocking and hilarious all at the same time.  Never before had someone interrupted Nanette in a story.  Most people would've found this off putting but Nanette found it endearing, and boy am I glad she did.  We compliment each others sense of humor very well.  With awful music jokes ("Nanette you're an emotional umlaut") and an abundance of "thats what she said" jokes, we just get a long, simple as that.  Its going to be a sad day when she leaves...

Rosalie was next, our connection, while not instantaneous, became a strong bond.  I remember our late night conversations about life and the problems we were having.  We really complimented each other well and helped each other through some problems.  It was the first time I had really relied on anyone but myself to work through an issue, and I really am thankful for that.  And though our relationship has been a rocky one at times, I feel that we can get through anything and be the best of friends for a long time to come.

Luis... oh Luis.  What do I say about you? I just remember sitting outside Dr. A's office for concert choir auditions.  You were the first to ask me about myself, and I was really glad for that.  I was really nervous coming halfway across the country and starting my life over in a new place.  You helped me take the first step to being comfortable here and I'm thankful for that.  Now we are becoming the best of friends and the more I learn about you, the more I know we are going to get each other through this program.  Just remember that when I'm dancing, my shirt likes to stay buttoned.

Derek, I feel like I'm just starting to scratch the surface of your personality.  I must say though, I enjoy our practice room "jam" sessions while everyone is in chamber choir. Even if my version of jamming is playing chopsticks while you accompany me.

Teaira. Although I have lost many hours of sleep by staying out too late with you, they have all been hours well spent.  Our old movie watching and the many "words are hard" moments I have around you, it's pretty much the most fun I've had in a very long time. Your huge heart and amazing kindness never ceases to surprise me. Your genuine interest in how people are feeling and if you can do anything to help is something that people should aspire to.  I don't know what else to say except that I'm glad we've met.

So Nanette, Rosalie, Luis, Derek and Teaira, thank you all for being such good friends and allowing me to be so comfortable in such a new and foreign place.  Thats pretty much it... I know I've forgotten some mentions in here, and some stories.  So I challenge you all to leave some stories in the comment section.

Could be one of my new favorite pictures.  Such a great night.

2 comments:

  1. remember that one time you punched your sister in the face?

    and that other time that you did it again?!?!?!

    scrotum chin... what does that make sneezing?

    blueberry muffins and peeing.

    drunk funny competition (I totally kicked your ass).

    Weeds season 5.

    Opera lit... phallic imagery in Beethoven's Fidelio.

    Shake-fist-five.

    so many stories... so little time... wait no. I have like... 5 hours at work tonight. but I got kinda bored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and that one time that we sat on the side of a road in the middle of desolate idaho for over an hour in 9 degree weather... Thank god for teaira saving us!

    ReplyDelete